knit@nite

nitely knitterly progress

7.14.2006

Knit Your Bit


My grandparents were teenagers during WWII. They lived through the war on ration cards, but never really talked about how tough it was. Because in other parts of the world people were killed and tortured. They just starved. And complaining was really not in their vocabulary.

[ Picture taken on June 20th, 1942 in Str
ömnäs, Sweden. He was 22.]


~




The most shameful of all were the German trains. My grandpa told me about watching the trains travelling through their sleepy town. They never stopped, they just travelled through, shipping the Germans to Norway for the occupation. They were sanctioned by the Swedish government, but hated by the people. I don't think the Norwegians have ever forgiven us for it, their leaders went underground and fought for their lives, while we just made deals to save our hide.

~


All these memories floated up because of the Red Cross package I dug up from my knitting pile.The knitting effort during WWI and WWII was amazing. While getting the commemorative knitting kit from WWII, and knitting these socks may not help someone today, I thought it would force me to never forget our past, our history. Because things aren't much different today.

~


~

Afghans for Afghans are doing a tremendous job. I signed up, and even if I won't make the current deadline, I'm going to knit my bit, for someone else, who needs it alot more than I do.

1 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Federico Perazzoni said...

Interesting....

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home